Monday, March 3, 2014

James Loewen on Christopher Columbus

I believe James Loewen's argument is correct to some extinct. I'm. In my entire academic carrer until now, I have been told how Christoper Columbus is a hero and how he had discovered America. According to Loewen's idea, the teachings of Christopher Columbus has been incorrect and inaccurate. From the textbooks he had researched, the portions of them that include Chrosopher Columbus are usually exaggerated to make him look like a hero. In addition Loewen's mentions how there were many other that have reached the Americas before Columbus, particularly from Asia. This made be recall Menzi's argument, and if feel that what Loewen is saying is correct. Unlike the discreptions Lowen gave for textbooks that described Columbus the wrong way, I believe Bentley and Zigler did not include any of the things that were in this description, in Traditions and Encunters. B & Z only mention Columbus brefly, to discuss the effect his voyage had on spreading disease. So for the most part I believe that Loewen's argument is convincing.

No comments:

Post a Comment